Wednesday, August 25, 2010

kindergartener

DSC_3178.jpg
Before

DSC_3197.jpg
After

Now that the fourth day of kindergarten is nearly over, I should probably get around to writing down my thoughts these last few days. What an experience to hand your first child off to another person, to be molded for 6 hours a day by a near stranger... The only relief that first day was knowing that some sort of divine intervention landed him in the best class at his school.

We actually requested and got another teacher initially, on the recommendation of an acquaintance, but after meeting her I was very apprehensive. She just didn't seem to be the kind and loving person I imagined and frankly, I was scared. After meeting her Benson said, "I hope she doesn't yell at me," and I got the same vibe. By some miracle we got a voicemail later that day from the sweetest woman, who is now Benson's teacher, saying there was some sort of mix-up and she hoped we wouldn't be too upset about the change into her class. Oh the relief! I'm so grateful for the "mix-up" as I couldn't imagine a better teacher for Benson. He loves her and so do I.

I've now entered the stage of annoying mom, as I grill him on absolutely everything that happened during the day: What did you eat? Who did you play with? What did you learn? and on and on and I usually only receive the most casual answers: Oh I don't know mom, not much, I don't remember, I had to visit the nurse because I got my finger smashed (!) like this is all no big deal and he's an old pro at kindergarten now.

My favorite thing from the first day was after he came home Ben asked if he missed us and he said without skipping a beat, "Nope. I was too busy having fun to even remember you!" Which is probably the best thing he could have said.

And Banks is on cloud nine, in case you were wondering. He doesn't miss Benson a bit, and it's crazy to see the change in his personality. He's outgoing! And social! And sweet! This is going well so far. And I only cried 3 times the first day, 0 times the next few days, and once today as Benson got on the bus for the first time. I was like the person in those movies where they chase after the bus (or train) and fall in a mess in the middle of the street after it's out of sight. I just hope like crazy he actually gets off the bus when I go to meet him in an hour!

9 comments:

melissa said...

haha. kindergarten sounds awesome. i want to go.

Stephanie said...

As usual I'm totally eating this up Carrie! Feel free to share any and all details about you and the boys because I love it. I'm like- yes yes this is me in two years. :)

Pam said...

Just goes to show you what great parenting can do for a child. You have a stud there, well, actually an oreo cookie...tough and hard enough on the outside to withstand the buffetings, soft and tender on the inside and just delightful and deliciously perfect! Way to go, Benson (and family)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel said...

Oh the blessings we receive for our children! I'm so happy he is in such a great class. And he sounds like a lucky kid, to be having as much as he is, and to have a mom as wonderful as you.

Glad Banks is finding his own too. That is always a fun thing to see!

boo face mcjones said...

Oh, I can't even imagine the anxiety! So glad things are going well for you. And the dropped cap is just DELIGHTFUL for this post.

DELIGHTFUL, I say!

Carrie said...

I like it too! I must admit, I had quite a time of trying to think of a way to start the post with N after I found it... hehe

Alison said...

I told you that it was so fun to see what little brother is like when big brother is away for awhile (didn't I? I meant to, at least). I'm glad that everything is going so perfectly so far.

Caity said...

Oh, it is sad for us isn't it? I am SO not looking forward to sending Emma. It's hard to only get the "I don't know" from all the questions we ask! At least Benson is having a great time and you love his teacher! That is so important. I'm really worried about that with Emma.

Colette said...

wow! all day kindergarten! that is a long day. I usually can't get anything out of my kids either. if i wait and listen it usually comes out on it's own. so glad you got a great teacher, that is one of the hardest things about sending them off to school.