Tuesday, February 9, 2010

squash pasta (don't be scared)

untitled-1.jpg

Squash covered pasta. What can I say? I was scared to try it frankly, and anticipated cold cereal for dinner following this culinary disaster. Boy was I wrong. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING. Amazing! So good that Ben (extreme squash hater) took it for lunch the next day, and the children (don't get me started on their hatred for all things vegetabley) thought it was macaroni and cheese and had second helpings. You do not like squash in any form? Try it try it, you'll conform! (wow that was clever)

Squash Pasta (adapted from Giada's Kitchen)

3 Tbs olive oil
1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt (I use Kosher)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
3/4 to 1 cup whole milk
1 lb pasta (I used cellentani)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (very optional-- I didn't use it but it would be pretty for color)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (again, mostly for garnish and I actually preferred it without)

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add the squash, garlic, the salt, and the pepper. Saute until the squash is golden and tender, 5-7 minutes. Add broth, bring to a simmer, then cover and cook until squash is very soft, another 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a blender (BE CAREFUL, I've had hot things explode in there too many times) or food processor and puree until very smooth.

Cook pasta in salted boiling water until desired doneness.

Combine pasta, squash mixture, and 3/4 cup milk in a large pot. Stir to combine and heat through if necessary. Add remaining milk as desired to loosen the consistency. Add basil and cheese (if using), season to taste with salt and pepper and serve! I served mine with parmesan focaccia and green salad.

8 comments:

laura d said...

sounds tasty!! I just might make this sometime this week. Gotta get me some squash!!

Rachel said...

I've had butternut pasta like this before and I really loved it. But mine didn't put the sauce in the blender and I do think this recipe looks better! I am so glad you shared. It looks so delicious!

Stephanie said...

ohhhh- i like it!!!

Emmy said...

Oh sneaky! I will have to try it

Melissa Lasley said...

That sound really yummy!

Helen said...

Mmm, sounds and LOOKS delicious! I'm always on the lookout for new recipes, so thank you!! :)

melissa said...

i like your new header, one hundred.

Anonymous said...

i love squash.... Cannot wait to try this.