Thursday, April 22, 2010

brought to you by choosing to post rather than shower

DSC_2016.jpg

DSC_2015.jpg

It's probably time to pop my head out of my newborn baby bubble. My live-in nanny just walked out the door (oh, sister... move closer), and now I'm thrown into the daily grind, sink or swim. Giddy up.

I'm finding it very difficult to articulate exactly how I feel about bringing this new little boy into the world. He is so unlike my other boys, I am treasuring every minute of getting to know him. Even his birth was a little gift to me--- I was finally able to have the birth experience I've always wanted, going into labor like a normal person, walking (IV-free), squeezing Ben's hand through it all, and finally knowing the feeling of this person emerging simply because my body knew exactly what to do and did it, before the doctor could even get there to catch him.

My house is a wreck most of the time, there are boxes still packed and waiting patiently, dozens of emails to be read, and hundreds of posts in my google reader, but this is the third, and I know how quickly they grow. And so our days are filled with holding this baby who loves loves loves to be held, rubbing his fluffy hairy little head, popsicles for the rest of us, and walks to the park, hopefully squeezing a nap in there somewhere. We are lucky to have a sweet little person to make us all slow down and enjoy every minute of babyness and childhood and family time.

Oh and that newborn smell! We are drinking baby Roman in.

16 comments:

melissa said...

yay! forget showers. they're for yuppies. whatever that means.

to tell you the truth, i've been reading birth stories all over the internet lately, and just a couple of days ago i was wondering what kind of birth little roman enjoyed. and your other boys. i don't know anything about them. (not that it's my business, darn this internet for making me so nosy.) but anyway, i'm glad it went well and like you wanted. xxoo

Caity said...

No doubt you are. I loved the post. Life sounds good.

Randy said...

Good on ya for slowing down and enjoying the moments. The boys (and you) will have fonder memories of watching Roman grow than unpacking boxes.

Stephanie said...

i choose so many less worthy things over showering DAILY! haha- thanks for the update! what a sweet sweet boy! and i nearly cried when you wrote about your birth experience this time around because ambrose's was so hard and ashers was exactly how you described it. AMAZING what our bodies are capable of no? LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for staying stinky Carrie. I have been waiting for a baby Roman update. He looks a lot like Benson, I think. He is amazing. We hope we get to meet him before he is 5....hehe We sure do miss you guys and it is going to be sad not getting to see you this summer...tear

Emmy said...

I cannot get over his hair! so so cute and so much of it.
So happy you were able to have a wonderful delivery experience.

Rachel said...

So hard when your sister leaves, isn't it?! Carrie, he is simply perfect. Sounds like you made good choices to me. And I'm so happy to see these wonderful pictures. We won't see you guys soon enough!

west's said...

He is such a doll. & look at all that hair - did your other boys have so much? So sweet! I can just smell him looking at him. It's one of my favorite things about newborns.

Rachel Elizabeth said...

He's beautiful. Look at all that hair!

Anonymous said...

isnt it weird how our priorities turn to the blog rather than shower??? totally feel ya on that one! Roman looks so precious! I know him and kole are going to be best buds!!! Get some sleep my dear!

boo face mcjones said...

such a handsome boy! i'm so pleased you chose to post rather than shower. there will be plenty of time for that showering business in the future, you know. and what a cool description of the birth! i don't know if i will ever get to experience a real birth, so it's cool to hear about them! i'm glad it all went so, so well for you!

Pam said...

Sniffle, sniffle...what a precious boy and what a precious family. Glad you know what it's all about! Love you, miss you!

Silver Strands said...

What a beauitful baby! And that is one amazing gorgeous head of hair!

Bringing home a new baby is always hard, but you've got it! Give yourself lots of slack, you deserve it.

Colette said...

He is so adorable. I'm so glad you are slowing down. It's very important to just hold him and enjoy him along with your two other boys.

Ruth Peterson said...

What a sweet little guy you have there--you are very blessed, and so wise to take these fleeting moments to simply enjoy him! :)

Suzanne said...

I love him! He is so cute guys! I am glad your taking the time to enjoy every minute. I can't wait to hold him! congrates guys. He is so cute, I want to rub his fuzzy little head

love ya, Suz!