Friday, April 30, 2010

getting lost and loving the babe

DSC_2256.jpg

DSC_2183.jpg
We've been trying to take pretty photos of the little baby, but it's proving exceedingly difficult as we have very filtered light in our house, and even that we only have for about 10 minutes in the evening. We'll keep trying!


Today has been such a nice day. We got lost. Like, 30 minutes of driving in who-knows-where-the-heck-we-are lost. But we were together, and listening to sweet lullabies, and snacking on grapes and it was kind of nice to just drive around randomly. And eventually we found the house we were looking for and bought our big kid (now registered for Kindergarten!) a real bike, which he is now out learning to ride in the snow(!?). Sniff.

The other news of the day is that not only does this sweet Roman love to snuggle, he is soothed to sleep by singing (a first for my babies). And so I've been singing this beautiful song today, but I haven't been able to get all the way through it without my voice cracking from overwhelming love yet. Babies are so much work, but somehow baby work just doesn't feel taxing like it probably should. He cries and poops and barfs all day (and night) but I love him all the more in his neediness. The words to the song really say it best:

Go back to sleep now
My darlin
And I'll keep all the bad dreams away
Breathe now, think sweet things
And I'll think of all the right words to say

Grow up now
My darlin
Please don't you grow up too fast
And be sure, darlin
To make all the good times last

Because we made you
My darlin
With the love in each of our hearts
We were a family, my darlin
Right from the start

And although it's hard to be without sleep, I look forward to many more nights of singing lullabies to my babe in the quiet of the night, with just the two of us. Because soon enough he'll be big and smart and won't find my voice to be the soothing comfort it is now. I've got to take advantage of my captivated audience while I can.

7 comments:

Caity said...

What a pretty song. That so neat that he loves to hear your singing voice. Every time I tried to sing to Emma she would cry. And if she was already crying she would cry louder :) They grow so fast, yet, Emma is such a sweet girl and still wants my "loves" so thankfully it last for a while.

melissa said...

that song makes me cry too. and it did a year ago before i could claim it was hormones.

i hope your benson can ride his bike in the sun soon, but i'm sorry to say i'm kind of glad i'm not the only one dealing with snow this week.

diana palmer said...

what a sweet song. i've never heard it. i'm not crying yet, and i am pregnant. but i have a heart of stone sometimes. jk. i clicked over to old cjane, but still can't figure out who sings the song? also, such sweet pictures of romie (hehehe, okay, i won't ever call him that again). you might try putting some sort of sheer material over the window, or a really really thin, white sheet (some have also been known to use thin shower curtains). something that still lets the nice light in, but diffuses it quite a bit.

lastly, sweet thoughts on this crazy phase, i'm stiiiilll not looking forward to. eek.

Stephanie said...

i sang this song to asher over and over when he was a newborn sick baby visiting on the mainland and so i know the feeling. i sang the wilco version (almost the same thing!) and it is just so perfect for this time of life. i remember this all well and yet as i read your post i was eager to do it all over again.

Rachel said...

Oh my heart! Your baby in combination with this song is the most sweetest thing.

so dear!

Carrie said...

Diana,

The song is originally by Wilco, covered by Ryan Tanner in this version on a compilation cd called Baby Mine. The whole cd is fab. I should have sourced the actual cjane post but I was too lazy to find it again. And thanks for the tips about the lighting! Too bad I don't live closer cause then I could just hire you to do it the right way. :)

Rachel Elizabeth said...

Love the song. So sweet.