Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Eve

DSC_3986.jpg

Our house lit up with luminarias

Here in New Mexico we have a tradition of setting out luminarias on Christmas Eve along the walkways in front of our houses. We've never participated before (nor anyone in our former neighborhoods) but this is the year of becoming real New Mexicans and so we did. I loved it.

Most of the houses in our neighborhood also set them out, and since it's not too cold here most of the time, we bundled up and strolled around the neighborhood to check out the display. We were alone on the streets (except for a few late putter-outers) and so we sang every Christmas hymn we could think of as we walked and it might very well be my very favorite Christmas Eve ever. Sometimes I say mean things about New Mexico (mostly that she isn't as pretty as some of my former homes) but there are some really great traditions here that I have grown to love. I hope to spend every Christmas Eve in New Mexico, walking the chill, quiet night hand in hand with my family, singing of our Savior's birth.

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

That tradition kind of gives me chills I love it so much! What a magical picture too. I love it.

Anonymous said...

That is really neat. I didn't know they did that. It is really pretty. I am glad you had such an amazing Christmas Eve. It has been fun seeing you guys on skype!

melissa said...

your house is awesome! and your luminaries are also very cool.

Randy said...

Maybe we'll join you next year.

Rachel said...

we set up those luminaries just like on the circle where I grew up on Christmas Eve. I've always loved them. That picture is so pretty and magical and I seriously cant think of a better way to spend Christmas Eve!

laura d said...

really cool! Way to be true-New Mexicans! :D

Stephanie said...

I went and checked out Doodles by Taro Gomi! You are right- so so cool! Ambrose's birthday is in March and I know at least one present he is getting now. And I totally remember Zoo books!

boo face mcjones said...

GORGEOUS. Seriously.

Pam said...

Very, very cool. What a lovely memory. Just goes to show you anywhere can be a great place..."when there's love at home." Ha, corny but oh so true. It is so fun to see these traditions developing. Love you!

Caity said...

Probably for the first time ever I feel like moving to New Mexico.

Colette said...

i think that's a great tradition!