Monday, May 18, 2009

did I ever mention that i found the last recipe I'll ever need?

Seriously. This.stuff.will.kill you with it's goodness.

I'd post a picture but the site but it's frowned  upon that without permission, and I didn't get a picture of it when I made it because... well, laziness really but she has lots of photos on the site so go! go! go!

Chocolate Caramel Crackers

  • SERVINGS: ABOUT 36 PIECES
  •  
  •  



  • SOURCE: smitten kitchen.com
  • About 4 sheets matzo or approximately 40 saltine-style crackers
  • 1 cup (8 ounces or 225 grams) unsalted butter, cut into a few large pieces
  • 1 cup (190 grams) packed light brown sugar
  • Sea salt, preferably flaky
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cups (9 ounces or 255 grams) semi- or bittersweet chocolate chips, or 9 ounces chopped semi- or bittersweet chocolate
  • 1 cup toasted chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts or a nut of your choice (optional)
Prepare your pan: Heat your oven to 350°F. Line an 13×18-inch (half-sheet) pan completely with foil, then line it again with parchment. This seems excessive but the foil will keep your pan near and the parchment will keep the crackers from sticking to the foil. You’ll be glad you did.
Line the bottom of the baking sheet with matzo or crackers, covering all parts in a single layer. [If using matzo, you’ll need to break pieces to fit any extra spaces, which will be annoying because despite being perforated, it does not actually break in straight lines. I have some luck making cuts by gently, carefully sawing with a serrated knife.]
Make the caramel/toffee: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together, and whisk it over medium heat until it begins to boil. Once it has begun boiling, let it bubble for 3 more minutes, whisking it the whole time. The butter and sugar will come together, and the mixture will thicken a little as it cooks. Remove from the heat and add a couple good pinches of sea salt and vanilla, if using, and then quickly pour it over the matzo or crackers. Use an offset spatula to spread the caramel quickly over all the crackers, as it will begin to set as soon after it is poured.
Bake: The caramel-covered crackers for 13 to 15 minutes, watching carefully as it will bubble and the corners might darken too quickly and/or burn. You can reduce the heat if you see this happening.
Finish the crackers: Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand 5 minutes, and then use an offset spatula to spread them in an even layer over the caramel. If you’re using them, sprinkle the chocolate with toasted chopped nuts and/or sea salt. (The extra sea salt is great on matzo. On saltines, it’s really not necessary.)
Cool: Once completely cool — I speed this along in the freezer, impatient as should be expected in the face of caramel crack(ers) — break or cut it into pieces and place in an airtight container. When cleaning up, you’ll see a lot of messy crumbs and bits; sweep them all into a jar for the best ice cream topping that has ever existed, trust me.
2 notes before you go:
1. I made it with saltines. Yum.
2. I wouldn't bake it as long as she says. I'd knock off 5 minutes of the baking time to ensure that it doesn't taste burnt.

7 comments:

Trisha said...

Carrie, would you bring your cuticle clippers tomorrow please please....

:)

Trisha said...

Also....yes these are sooo good. My best friend sent me some for Christmas 2 years ago and I am not certain the rest of my family got to try any..:) I tried making them once and it wasn't largely successful so I need to try again. Maybe we can do it on a Tuesday craft day. :)Maybe you should bring a few for our nice Tuesday group tomorrow. heheheh

melissa said...

how funny. i made these on saturday for a little dinner party. i also gave the recipe to a girl in our a ward a few months ago and she about died. they are magically delicious.

laura d said...

Oh my baby is going to hate me but I'm going to make these. He'll just have to deal with the chocolate. I was good for a week and a half...I also secretly bought some more Reese's Puff Cereal. I just can't stay away.

Stephanie said...

this reminds me of your grandma jeans toffee! how delicious! someone in my ward made something like this for a recipe group they started and it was really really tasty!

KCordell said...

I am so trying this for dessert for my "special" dinner tomorrow. Thanks

Suzanne said...

Looks SOOO good, the temptations are killing me!
Thanks for sharing. -Suz